Thursday, April 5, 2018

An Extra-Ordinary Life: Alyssa Feitzinger






Twenty one year old aspiring journalist Alyssa Feitzinger, sat in front of me on this chilly march evening, wearing her ripped denim jacket decorated with pins. She certainly is a girl with an artistic flair coming from a small, predominantly Amish town in Pennsylvania who is taking on the city life to find herself and her passion for writing. Her ashy pink hair was pulled back in a black bow, and her soft voice was calmingly confident as we got to chatting about her life and what makes her, her. I was filled with curiosity after unveiling that the girl I thought might be shy, is actually much more than that.


Templeton: What word or phrase best describes your personality and why?


Alyssa Feitzinger: “Old soul definitely, my grandmother and I are both Gemini’s and she always said she was the more youthful Gemini while I was the one with an older soul. I think of us as kindred spirits.”



Templeton: What is your favorite book?


AF: “The 6th harry potter- the half-blood prince”



T: When did you decide that journalism was the right path for you?


AF: “When I was a little kid I used to draw clothing designs and use a wooden plank as a frame and create paper silhouettes for my designs, I thought at the time I wanted to do fashion but as I entered into high school I thought a more realistic route would be journalism because I knew I had a love for writing and fashion, why not become a fashion reporter.”


T: Do you have siblings?


AF: Yes I have an older half-brother, and a younger brother.


T: What is your fondest childhood memory?


AF: “Growing up my grandmother was really my best friend- I want to say that she really raised me but that’s not giving enough credit to my mother, who was a single mother. My grandmother was in charge of everything in our area, she was the girl scouts leader, the summer camps coordinator, and she did everything. She was really in charge of everything in the summer camps so I felt like being her granddaughter that meant I had a sense of being in charge too, I would kind of take the groups of kids and go on adventures, and I always loved spending time with my grandma at the camp and the older counselors, I connected more with them.”




My conversation with Alyssa enlightened me, it sounds cliché to say don’t judge a book by its cover but it’s really the truth. A shy, artsy girl, in my eyes, only to reveal a quick-witted, sarcastic, yet calming force. Perhaps there is even a hidden friendship here, we never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment